Carrollton Manor Web Site
 
Home Page
     
       
   
History
        Carrollton Manor was subdivided in 1931 and the 25 foot wide lots were sold as vacation properties. One of the first houses was a Mediterranean style house that still stands on Center Drive. Carrollton Manor slowly grew and remained a vacation community through the 40s and 50s, as did much of the Anne Arundel County shoreline between Annapolis and Baltimore. When the first bay bridge was built, vacationers had an easy route to the Eastern Shore and Ocean City. This event began the process of changing the shoreline communities of Anne Arundel County from vacation properties to year round residence
 
        Carrollton Manor Improvement Association (CMIA) was organized and incorporated in 1941. Initially, meetings were held in member's houses oron their front porches and only a handful of residents paid dues. During the 60s and 70s, the number of year-round residents exceeded the number of vacation homes. During this period, the community operated a teen center in a basement structure that was attached to the Clubhouse. This structure was torn down in mid 80s after termites were found and no funds were available for repairs
 
        In the 1970s, when the Carrollton Manor Land Company was dissolved the three beaches were deeded to the community association. Prior to this time, the main beach was unimproved except for a community boat ramp (constructed in the 1930s). A few years after the deed was transferred the pier was constructed. The original slip owners each contributed about $500 towards the construction, and were granted the exclusive use for a number of years. About 1980, the black iron gate was added to close the beach to non-residents. This gate was paid with equal contributions from CMIA and Mr. Calvin Gray, the original developer of Bluff Point subdivision, which abuts the community beach. Around the same time, the retaining wall was installed to provide a parking area.
 
CMIA operated with very limited funds until the passage of the Special Community Benefits District (SCBD) in1996. SCBD allows the county to collect dues from all property owners through a special assessment on their property tax bill. Currently there are about 500 homes and a dozen commercial properties within the boundaries of CMIA.